Why is Swaddling my Baby important?
Swaddling can help to soothe and comfort your baby. It helps to recreate the snugness of the womb, making your baby feel secure and content. Studies have also shown that swaddling contributes to better sleep for both babies and mum!
The benefits of baby swaddling
Swaddling helps to keep your newborn warm and secure, while also providing a comforting pressure on their entire body like they felt in the womb. It can reduce newborn fussiness which may be caused by the startle reflex due to an abrupt change in environment. Having babies arms in and secure helps prevent the startle reflex. Studies show results that babies who are swaddled sleep more soundly and for longer periods of time too!
- Soothes the baby: Swaddle help to recreate the feeling of being in the mums womb, which can make babies feel secure and calm.
- Helps regulate body temperature: Babies are not able to regulate their body temperature as well as adults, so a swaddle can help keep them warm and comfortable.
- Reduces the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS): Swaddles can reduce the risk of SIDS by preventing babies from rolling onto their stomachs while sleeping. Also lessen the risk or loose blankets being a risk.
- Helps promote sleep: A Swaddle can help promote sleep by reducing the startle reflex that can wake a sleeping baby.
- Eases colic and fussiness: Swaddles can help soothe babies with colic or fussiness by providing a comforting and safe environment.
It is important to note that a swaddle should be done correctly and safely to avoid any potential risks, such as overheating or restricted breathing.
How to swaddle your newborn using a muslin blanket wrap
1. Place a baby blanket on the flat surface with one folded corner angled up towards you.
2. Position your baby face-up in the middle of the blanket, with their head just above the top corner.
3. Take the left side of the blanket and wrap it across your baby’s body fold and tuck it securely under their right side (shoulders relaxed).
4.Take the bottom corner of the blanket and bring it up over your baby’s feet.
5. Take the right side of the blanket and wrap it around your baby’s body, tucking it tightly under their left side nicely.
6. And you’re ready to go! You can now adjust the fabric as needed for a snug fit, ensuring that your baby feels snug and comfortable.
Remember to always take safety precautions when swaddling your baby, avoid over-wrapping them or wrapping them too tight. Always make sure to check their temperature and keep them cool by using breathable materials such as cotton muslin. Additionally, be sure to never cover the face of your baby while swaddling.
A swaddle wrap should only be used until babies can roll over on their own, since this increases the risk of suffocation or overheating. If baby rolls onto their front in the swaddle, they cannot use their arms or legs to push themselves back, this can be dangerous. As soon as little one can roll the swaddle must stop at this point.
Swaddle Wraps vs. Muslin Blankets
What’s the Difference?
Swaddle wraps are specifically designed to be used as a swaddle, with velcro or snaps that make it easy to adjust the fit. They come in various sizes and colours, which makes them perfect for any age baby.
Muslin blankets are made of lightweight, breathable cotton fabric and are perfect for keeping your baby warm. They can be used in multiple ways and most muslin blankets come pre-washed, so they’re incredibly soft right out of the package.
Whichever you choose to use, make sure it fits correctly! The goal is to keep your baby safe and cosy without being too tight or restricting their movement.
Should I choose a blanket or a wrap?
The type of baby swaddle blankets you choose should depend on your comfort level and the age and size of your baby. If you’re new to swaddling, wraps may be a good choice as they are specifically designed to keep your baby secure while providing enough room for natural movement.
For older babies who have already begun rolling over, blankets may be a better choice as they provide more room for movement, breathable material blankets are advised. However, make sure to always keep an eye on your baby and adjust the swaddle if needed.
No matter which type of baby swaddle or swaddle blankets you choose, remember to always use safety precautions and make sure that your baby is comfortable and secure!
Does swaddling/ swaddle blankets improve Baby's quality of sleep?
Swaddling is a wonderful way to help your baby get the rest they need, (and mum of course!) while also providing soothing comfort and security as they adjust to their new environment. Plus, studies show that swaddling can reduce the risk of SIDS. Be sure to always take safety precautions and follow best practices when swaddling your baby - check in on them throughout the night to ensure they are comfortable and secure.
The age old practice Swaddling is also beneficial for parents in that it can make night time feedings easier by calming them down before you begin. It can also help reduce the amount of crying, which can be a real lifesaver for exhausted new parents at bedtime!
Is Swaddling a newborn safe?
When done correctly and safely, swaddling can be a great way to soothe and comfort your newborn. It’s important to always take safety precautions when you swaddle newborns, such as avoiding over-wrapping or doing so too tight and never covering the face.
Best organic baby swaddle blanket to shop now
Our beautiful baby muslins and favourite large muslin blankets are available in 4 colours, and feature a pom-pom trim, and made from 100% breathable organic cotton which is super soft and kind to baby's skin. Perfect for mum to use to swaddle baby. They can also be used as a blanket, nursing cover or even a burp cloth! We also have smaller sizes available! Our aim is to help provide comfort and ease for the happiest baby. Click here to view our beautiful collection!