How lovely is it when summer finally appears after so many cold months, however heat with small children can be not only tiring but also a worry, especially for babies. In this short blog i will share some of the things that have helped me so much with my first child, but especially with my second!
Keeping a baby cool during the summer is essential to ensure their comfort and safety. Here are some effective ways to keep your baby cool during hot weather:
To keep your baby cool in the summer:
Although some of these point seem obvious, they can often be forgotten.
- Dress them in lightweight, breathable clothing, or just a nappy.
- Find shade and limit outdoor activities during the hottest hours.
- Apply baby-friendly sunscreen regularly, even in the shade.
- Offer plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Use fans or air conditioning for a cool environment.
- Give them lukewarm baths or use damp cloths to cool their skin.
- Use lightweight bedding or sleep sacks for comfortable sleep.
- Keep indoor temperatures comfortable and ventilated.
- Watch for signs of overheating and seek medical attention if necessary.
Hydrating foods for baby
When it comes to hydrating foods for babies, it's important to introduce them to a variety of fruits and vegetables that have high water content. Here are some hydrating foods you can offer to your baby:
Watermelon: Watermelon is an excellent choice as it contains about 92% water and is a refreshing fruit for hydration.
Cucumber: Cucumbers have a high water content and can be sliced into small, soft pieces for babies to munch on.
Strawberries: Strawberries are not only delicious but also contain a good amount of water. You can mash or puree them for your baby.
Grapes: Grapes are another fruit with high water content. Cut them into small pieces or offer them as a puree.
Oranges: Oranges and other citrus fruits provide hydration and are a good source of vitamin C. Offer them as fresh juice or small, manageable segments for older babies.
Peaches: Peaches are juicy fruits that can be pureed or mashed for your baby to enjoy.
Yogurt: Plain yogurt contains both water and essential nutrients. Offer it as a snack or mix it with other fruits for added flavour.
Coconut water: Coconut water is a natural hydrating beverage that can be introduced to babies over six months old. Make sure to choose unsweetened and pasteurized varieties.
- Smoothies: Try whizzing up your babies favour fruit and veg with water to make a lovely hydrating smoothie for them to drink ( over 6 months)
- Ice pops: by mushing fruit with water and putting into ice pop moulds, you can provide them with a hydrating, cooling treat and this also helps teething.
Activities to do when its hot with young children and babies
- Water play with a baby pool or water table.
- Sensory play with ice cubes.
- Create a shaded outdoor tent with toys and books.
- Blow bubbles for your baby to enjoy.
- Make a DIY sprinkler for them to play in.
- Take leisurely nature walks in shaded areas.
- Have indoor play dates in cool spaces.
- Enjoy picnics in shaded areas.
- Visit baby-friendly splash pads or water parks.
- Attend story time sessions in air-conditioned spaces.
- Shaded sand pit activities.
There are lots of fun things to do with little ones in the summer time, or on holiday. Hopefully some of the tips from this blog help you keep baby comfortable and entertained on those hot days too!